Magnesium – The Miracle Sleep Mineral
Magnesium is an essential mineral that packs a punch – it promotes sleep, aids in reducing stress and protects against certain ailments and/or diseases. Because of this, more and more supplement companies are offering magnesium as a sleep aid since it is tied to the body’s internal clock function, as well as the chemicals and hormones that control how many hours we sleep and when we wake up.
This is a great option for people looking to take a natural supplement instead of a potentially addictive sleeping pill, but what exactly is magnesium and what should you look for in an all-natural, junk-free supplement?
What is Magnesium?
One of the most common minerals on Earth, magnesium is essential for nerve and muscle function, protein synthesis, bone health and more. Lack of this foundational mineral in your diet can potentially cause osteoporosis, heart disease, and even anxiety disorders.
Luckily, magnesium is found in many of the foods we eat, including:
- Dark leafy greens like Swiss chard and spinach
- Seeds and nuts, including sunflower and sesame seeds, cashews and almonds
- Squash, broccoli, potatoes and other vegetables
- Legumes like black beans
- Dairy products
- Unprocessed whole grains
- Chocolate (if you needed another reason to enjoy dark chocolate – one square gives you a little over 20 percent of the recommended daily magnesium value!)
In general, the experts recommend a daily dose of 400 mg for men and 310 mg for women. Chances are you’re not getting enough of it in your daily diet. In fact, recent studies found that half of U.S. adults do not get enough magnesium, affecting their health and well-being, from mental health to sleep.
How Magnesium Deficiency Impacts Quality Sleep
For your brain to prepare for extended sleep, it needs to wind down and relax. That’s where magnesium comes in – it helps push along this process by interacting with the body’s melatonin levels and the nervous system.
When there’s a deficiency, it can affect sleep quality in several ways:
- Stress & Anxiety: As you probably know from experience, it’s hard to fall asleep if you feel very anxious or stress out. This is because magnesium regulates GABA, a neurotransmitter made in the brain. Low levels of GABA can cause a host of issues including chronic pain, depression, anxiety, and sleep disturbances.
- Depressions & Mood: Studies show that depression symptoms and depression-related insomnia actually improves with magnesium supplements.
- Muscle Cramps, Aches & Pains: Experts are now seeing a link between muscle spasms, twitches, and cramps in people with a magnesium deficiency. All can cause sleep disturbances and ongoing insomnia.
Additionally, poor sleep habits caused by a magnesium deficiency deplete healthy hormones that would otherwise help build muscle, strength and increase metabolism.
How to take magnesium for a restful, deep sleep
Sometimes it isn’t easy to take in as much magnesium as your body needs for better sleep through your diet. Luckily, Adapt Supplements has created Adapt Nightfall to boost daily magnesium intake and provide you more restful sleep.
TRY NIGHTFALL - 10% OFF WITH PROMO CODE "TAKE10"
Nightfall by Adapt Supplements is a natural sleep supplement designed to help you fall asleep faster, sleep more consistently and reap the many benefits of deep, restful and recovering sleep. In addition to 50mg of magnesium per serving, Nightfall also contains Valerian Root which naturally treats insomnia and l-tryptophan which converts to serotonin and helps control mood and sleep.
In addition to adding Nightfall to your nighttime routine, pack your days with a healthy diet and routine exercise. With the proper sleep-supporting habits and supplements, you can achieve the best you faster.